Saturday, March 05, 2005

Gardener's Journal -- March

I'll make a trip later to the big box store for organic soil, etc. This morning I cleaned out two large beds and now have cleaned out the smaller of two ponds. Now it's time to make some decisions on what will be planted later this year.

Traditionally I don't plant anything new until after May 1...there is just too much risk with the crazy Oklahoma weather. I've seen snow on Easter Sunday and 101 degrees in October, so for now, I'll stick to sprucing up some container gardening, readying them for their year of decking patio and pergola. I will post some pics later that will serve as a way to track the garden's growth this year.

My big dilemma is on whether I want to try some vegetables or stick to what I usually have more luck with -- perennials and roses. I enjoy more of a higgly piggly look to my garden, which is a lot like enjoying a more casual look with color and it is harder to obtain that look. It takes a lot of planning to get that "unplanned" natural look. I think the most successful gardens are those that use roses and vegetables in a way that is both creative and functional. Very challenging to do well, though, at least for me.

The work in the raised beds, with leftovers from last year's herb garden present an opportunity to inhale rosemary which is heavenly.

The biggest mistake that I've made in past years -- and the one that I see a lot of others doing is rushing the season. Even though garden centers are stocking a lot of growing plants, it is really not the time to plant anything...but it is the time to invest in any hardscape or cleaning out of beds. Putting expensive plants in untreated and unreadied soil is like bringing a new baby home and putting them in the dusty old basement. It's important to take the time to prepare the soil, allow the soil to warm and make good decisions on what can be planted successfully.

No comments: