Sunday, February 27, 2005

Not going to take that bullet

I'm trying to calm down from a very emotional church service. The music was first was moved me because I feel that I am in need of such hope in my life right now. I think it is just the usual "stuff" that I use to hear my g'mother talk about...taxes, kids going to college, etc.

Not the best day to hear a sermon about how I should sell everything and give to the poor.

Good admonition and certainly I can do more towards helping others. I'm sure that I can do more. Yet my first response to this is what my usual response to church preachers who get up and start yammering about giving money away.

Questions come to my mind...like, "Mister private university graduate, did you ever work 3 jobs to get yourself through college?"

Or maybe, "have you ever stood in line and paid for your groceries with your mom on food stamps?"

Or how about, "did you ever "get" to wear some of that "given away clothing" in the benevolence room to church, and have others say to you, 'I use to have a dress like that...' knowing full well that it was indeed that same piece of clothing that they had cast off. Last year's fashions, with tears and stains on them?

It seems to me that there is a part of scripture that never gets discussed in these "discussion" (like can we really talk back to the preacher while he yammers on...)...like the fact that Christ also said, "the poor will always be with us.." and "if a man doesn't work, neither should he eat.." and countless other things that to me say our saviour was all about "helping" others take responsibility for their lives, not just giving them handouts...

Not to mention the fact that there are other resources that are certainly abused...things like time and talents...how many sermons do I get to sit through where the admonition is to use our talents more wisely, giving our time and energy to those with less in these areas...there are a lot of those in a certain age group that seem to misuse these priceless resources. When will we get to hear about these?

And it is especially hard to hear from the standpoint that some of us have worked hard -- worked damn hard -- for everything that they have today.

I think I will choose not to take this bullet. I'll step aside on this one.

No comments: