Friday, March 04, 2005

It's almost here -- GARDENING TIME!

I took a trip to the garden store looking for pre-emergent for the lawn, when I caught the whiff of what is unmistakenably the most sensual sign of spring -- the scent of hycinth. WOW! She was a beauty, bold and blue and the scent was heavenly.

This weekend is the big start...I'll begin with having my hefty 16 year old and my very athletic 14 year old with cleaning out the winter "brush" in the gardens and then we'll add organic material to the beds. Redefining the lines of the garden, making notes of what didn't make it through the cold winter and what needs to be removed or replaced.

It's all about perennials for me and I've selected several key points in our back to focus upon this year. One of my gardening friends warned me when I started that I'd soon be addicted to the beauty and simplicity of gardening. The prophecy proved true. I relish the smell, the feel, the senses of gardening...nothing nourishes my soul or brings me closer to God than those moments in the garden.

This year, the pool is already a part of the plan, with execavation scheduled to begin in the next two weeks. We are doing it "ourselves" meaning we're just serving as our our contractors.

When I look at the gardening books I have to remember that some of those gardens have been "in the works" for 20 years or more...gardening is about patience if it is about nothing else. And you must allow the time for a garden to mature and grow into itself.

I'll be posting a lot more about gardening as it inspires me in many ways. I believe that a lot of life can be better understood when one spends time in the garden. Life for me, begins in the garden. I'll post some of pics from my garden, too. It is a work in process.

No comments: