Thursday, May 12, 2005

New laptop, new life

It's keyboard is quick and fast. It has chrome all around it and it smells like a new car. It has more memory than I'll ever probably use and it's keys don't "stickkkkkk" because of coffee that was spilled on them.

Still, my new laptop isn't quite "mine" yet. I don't have all my files transferred over from my old. And my music -- MY MUSIC -- is still in the old player. It took me two years to get that music and playlists just like I wanted. Jesse Cook, Govi, David Lanz. They lulled me into morning routines and rounded out my day.

It's been a while since I've had any mechanical aversions, like I use to have about ten years ago. Then, I was on a personal mission to stay as far away from computers as possible. When I saw the "blip, blip" machines in my favorite grocery story, I lamented to my husband, "will there be anything that won't have a computer chip in it?"

Seems like a really stupid question now. Not as stupid as the guy who said that he didn't think there was much of a market for a personal computer (head of IBM), so I guess I'm in good company.

Reality is, my life on any given day has about three computers that work for it. My camera goes with me everywhere. My treo which is my phone (gotta be able to get email while driving, y'know) and of course my laptop, which is now is as necessary as pens and pencils...maybe more so.

But this huge transition from one pile of metal to another is really tough. It's like cleaning out my closet only worse...deletion is a lot harder than giving to Good Will. With one you give to others, with the other you don't exist.

No comments: