Friday, May 13, 2005

Mexico bound

I made my travel arrangements for Mexico today, traveling with a friend/collegue to Mexico in July. I've also started exploring new relationships in the spanish-speaking community within my own city. I am struck, again, at how limiting my own culture is and how much I have to learn.

I was invited to a party tomorrow night with some of my new friends. Kind of strange, since I don't really "party". I'm not really a "fun" person so partying doesn't come up much. And, since the party starts at 9 PM that also makes it tough. 9 PM is prime reading/writing time for me, which is probably why I'm not much of a party goer.

Still, I accepted the invitation. I figure, what's a couple of hours? Since I don't drink (no moral grounds, just can't get a 'taste' for it at all) I am sure to learn a lot about people I might not have a chance to meet any other way.

So, I'll try to brush up on my small talk. Maybe I'll learn a few key phrases in Spanish or just try to do my best with my english. I wonder, will I be more sociable as a spanish speaking person?

Another idea that has emerged is that I could take what I'm learning by watching and observing another culture....how could I take what I'm learning (watching/observing) with me with in my OWN culture? Could I approach it with more humility? More interest? More compassion?

Worth a try. So today, as I sat in a director meeting I took notes. I studied the speaker more carefully, tried to imagine myself as some anthropologist who was studying the "sales culture" for some documentary. I watched what she did, how she said things.

In my line of work I am a black sheep, red herring or whatever..I always feel very out of place when I'm with my colleagues because they are all cuter, dress better, party better. I'm more at home with a good book or my laptop. Strolling in my garden or just sitting outside with a tall glass of sugary iced tea. A wild night for me is going to the local theater after 7 PM.

Today was no different...I arrived and immediately felt underdressed. I chaffed at not having a more "with it" hairstyle (after years of having my hair spiked, it is now curly and a bit longer). And I felt goofy dragging my Sonic Route 44 Iced Tea with me when no one else even looked hungry. (OK, they LOOKED hungry, but do they ever really EAT?)

But since I was doing a heavy cultural experiment, I started focusing more on others...and just like they tell you, it does help you feel less wierd.

A little bit, anyway.

No comments: