Friday, April 01, 2005

Gardner's Journal - Sir Thomas Lipton and Sally Holmes take residence my garden

Today is Friday, April 1 and the SUN IS SHINING!

After a great work week, I am choosing to take the afternoon "off". I've been to the garden centers and loaded up on mulch (pecan mulch is prettiest and best for roses) and a few other hardy perennials. It is still too early for much planting but every day is one more day I can plant.

I have 10 more rose bushes to plant, along with "May Night" salvia which is a dark blue companion perennial that really goes well with all kinds of roses.

I was also accousted by three cheerful bleeding hearts that just needed a home in a part of the garden that gets plenty of shade.

The roses I purchased are still bare root, which are far less expensive and much easier to transplant in the garden, especially if proper preparations (can you say PEAT MOSS) is done prior to planting. With these roses, the added growth that can happen will far outstrip the original container rose that is usually three times more expensive.

I'll get some pics posted later after my afternoon to enjoy the warming sun and new plantings.

No comments: