Monday, March 28, 2005

Summer Solstice

Today marked back to work for me after almost two weeks "off". I started the day in the garden with Dan...this is a highlight for both of us. Some people talk a lot about the flush of new love...for me, I'll take the constancy and comfort of aged love (now almost 20 years) anyday. There is a peace and a comfort found in just work alongside someone, often without having even to talk, and just "be". Dan is one of the most Godly men that walks the globe and I'm proud to call him my "best friend".

And today I saw God's faithfulness. If you work for yourself, you know that you don't just get back to the office and find work to do...often, you get the privilege to "create" that work, which is why I love working for myself. Today I was a big dismayed looking at rather SNOWY datebook...but the phone rang and my day was quickly consumed with new business and new starts. Again, the reassuring hand of God to comfort me today.

Finally, I got to talk to one of my little brothers today and we had a really good chat. Wierd how DNA works, though. I was talking to him on my cell phone while I drove into Sonic (not literally -- you know what I mean...) and was ordering my constant driving companion, a Sonic "Route 44 Iced Tea" . Come to find out..he orders the same thing... didn't know that. He gets his brains from me....

I'm considering having my first ever "Summer Solstice" Party this year. I've been reading up on this celebration and it sound like a lot of fun. I have some ideas that I'd like to try...anyway, a fun project to plan...here's a bit of what I've found...


People around the world have observed spiritual and religious seasonal days of celebration during the month of June. Most have been religious holy days which are linked in some way to the summer solstice. On this day, typically JUN-21, the daytime hours are at a maximum in the Northern hemisphere, and night time is at a minimum. It is officially the first day of summer. It is also referred to as Midsummer because it is roughly the middle of the growing season throughout much of Europe.
"Solstice" is derived from two Latin words: "sol" meaning sun, and "sistere," to cause to stand still. This is because, as the summer solstice approaches, the noonday sun rises higher and higher in the sky on each successive day. On the day of the solstice, it rises an imperceptible amount, compared to the day before. In this sense, it "stands still."

No comments: