Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Sanctuary Garden

When the word sanctuary is ued I generally refer to a spiritual type of place...perhaps even a church.

The real meaning of sanctuary to me is now more and more in my garden. In fact there is a entire way of gardening that is referred to as "sanctuary gardening". (www.cortesia.org).

Here are a few guiding principles of such an endeavor...
1 - embrace your sacredness
2 - embrace the sacredness of the world
3 - acknowledge the value of sanctuary for yourself, nature and all other beings and places
4 - create sacred time and space for yourself every day
5 - practice nonjudgment and compassion
6 - give of yourself to bring more joy, beauty, hope and peace into the world
7 - practice reverence for life.

I'm not one much for dogmas or creeds, but these ideas just seem to make sense to me. Sure some of the wording is a bit different than what I would use, but the essence is there...a life of reflection, generosity and reverence.

After all, didn't life begin in a Garden?

No comments: