Sunday, May 01, 2005

Sunday matinee: "The Interpreter"

I'm always impressed when a director takes a small role in a movie of his own making. Syndey Pollack, director of this film and a hosts of others (Tootsie, Out of Africa, etc., etc.,) should well be proud of this film.

Between its tightly packed action sequences, its crisp dialogue and imagery, this film packs heat.

What I like best about a film like this is how it gets its messages across subtlety and with sophistication. I have to work at finding out what's really going on...and what's going on may have several levels.

Never met S. Pollack, but would imagine that he'd want me to find my own "morsels of truth" in this story and there are many: technology and how it both seperates and connects people, the emerging global world village, the disillusionment with leaders who follow their own drum. All of this and more in a 2 hour film, the film is carried both by Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn. Their acting is transparent and real, making me want to know more about the characters and their lives.

Pollack seems to be man with passion and verve and his movies greatly exemplify that. This one is purely inspired.

No comments: