Friday, May 06, 2005

Gardner's Journal: Completing Spring Planting

I planted the last of the day lillies today. I also tried some new salvia, a red version that I really like. I'm finished planting for now (really, I am!).

As I was watering this morning I thought back to my first stabs at gardening in other locations. I had this one large book that talked about how to plant annuals and perennials and I remember studying that and studying that book, thinking, "how will I ever learn this?" It all seemed very organized and logical and it was if I had stumbled upon a magic code that had been left by some unknown tribe.

Even then, gardening called to me, but I couldn't hear its voice.

I was busy having children, moving, trying to establish an adult life. I wonder at times, if I had heeded that call how things might be different.

Now almost 18 years later, I look at my garden and I realize it is still a hodge podge of attempts, there isn't any real logic to it. I plant by my "gut". I plant what I like. If a plant doesn't work, out it goes. I don't have a lot of time for high maintainance plants.

But most plants will thrive if their conditions are right. So it is less about the plant being high maintainance than it is about the soil being worked.

I wonder, isn't that the same as people?

Aren't most of us ok in the right environment? Aren't we all happier when we are well watered, wall fed and not getting too much sun?

I think about learning how to put colors together in a pleasing way. This is the subjective part of gardening, I think. What pleases me may not please you at all. It has taken me a long while to not plant with abandon, just planting and filling gaps. Now there is more thought but still a sense of whimsy and ambiguity.

For example, today I stumbled upon some kind of mystery plant -- it must be a form of a delphinium but I can't remember what it is. It's beautiful, light lilac on strong green stems. About 24 inches tall it stands there in an awkard space, really, looking like an overdressed teenager at a dance. It's gangly and tall and out of sorts.

But beautiful it its own way. If I had more of them it would fill in nicely, but I can't remember where I got or what its name is.

There are some constants in my garden -- lots of yellow with plenty of purple to soften the blow. Too much yellow is like living with one of those perennial happy people who like to get up at 5 am shouting, "Good morning merry sunshine". It's a nice thought, but kinda gives you a headache after awhile.

So I'm trying to fill in with some reds -- salvia, yarrow and begonia. I like the way yellow and red play off each other.

As my garden fulfills this years hopes I think about learning new things. I see a lot of similarity in my learning spanish and gardening. Both are things I never thought I'd do. Both are things that I'm really good at when I give myself over to them. Both are things that require a certain patience and plodding.

So, for now, the spring garden is simply to be enjoyed. There are a few things that I'll work on through the hot summer months, but the real "work" in the garden is done. There is the weeding, the watering, of course.

And there's always the dreaming...of what next garden will be tackled. I have three spots selected and have already put together some ideas, taken some pics of their "before" shots. I know I'll use more fountains and water. Funny thing, I had thought that we'd have a swimming pool by now, but the fountains in the yard are really cooling in a different way. So though we don't have the "dive in" pool (yet!) we do have the same sense of a cooling space.

This afternoon, I'm treating myself to a mother's day nap with my cat with a great book and a tall glass of iced team.

1 comment:

Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

This post feels to me like the beginning of your book!