Thursday, May 05, 2005

Cinco de mayo

In celebration of this hispanic holiday, I'm trying out more of my new found phrases. Hopefully I won't offend too many of my spanish speaking friends. Hopefully, I won't parade into my favorite watering hole and say "I want a BIG MAN" instead of saying, instead, "Wow, I'm really hungry". (Both phrases get you kinda noticed, but my friends at Mexico Lindo still laugh at me when I come in after blowing THAT spanish twist.) By the way, Mexico Lindo has the best nachos in the whole world...mexico or Oklahoma or wherever!!!

Learning a new language is like putting on a new outfit. You become something different, someone new. You also realize how impoverished your native tongue might be. I find that new words in a new language open me up to new kinds of meanings and nuances.

And you realize perhaps how small your own world is and how limited you might be if you stay there.

This is true for me in more than just learning spanish. Recently, I have had the opportunity to meet some new friends on-line which has been an introduction to a whole new world of literary smarts. People that are way way way more talented and more intelligent than I and I sit back and I read their stuff and just go, "wow". I have so much to learn! These are people that are publishing books, talking about books..it all seems like a big new world to me. A world that I want to learn more about, inhabit and learn to speak in that "language".

More later..

No comments: