Wednesday, April 27, 2005

A True Story

I told this story to my brother who thought it was "blog worthy" so here goes. It really happened...

I'm driving in the taxi, it's early, still dark. I've not had a lot of sleep so am groggy and not at all excited about the trip home (5 hour plane ride). My wits are not about me, I'm off balance, tired, weary.

Why do I pick these times to practice new skills, like speaking in Spanish?

That's the difference between creative people and non-creative people. Creative people throw caution to the wind and "go for it" when sometimes it would be best to huddle with your friends in the back seat and just keep your mouth shut. Creative people have this idea that if they just practice -- aloud and a lot -- they will figure out the rules of the game.

I told the driver, "I need to get some money". Necessito aci auro deniro (something like that..)

To which he responded, "Si". (yes, thank you).

Now I'm feeling cocky. Not only am I tired, but feeling like showing off a bit. Big mistake.

I noticed the sign for the airport. I've never said the word "airport" in Spanish before..but being a very tired, creative sort of person, I go for it. And then, I add a couple of other spanish-sounding words to it just to finish it off nicely.

This brought a very interesting response from the driver. He kind of smiled, looked a bit sheepish, then said (in perfect English I might add, the lout), "I'll take you to the airport..the "faggot dog" isn't opened at this time of day."

And yes, the not-so-creative friends in the back seat, laughed hard at my expense.

No comments: