Friday, April 29, 2005

Mexico and all that salsa

I have made the decision to work in Mexico with the business that I now have. My company is opening up the country to us, in that we can go there and train and recruit. I haven't really ever thought of myself as someone who would do this, but having spent some time there I have been refreshed to see a culture that is open to learning.

The thing is, I'm suppose to go there to teach, train. But I figure that I'll be the one who will learn the most. I am sure I don't have a clue how much I have to learn. I imagine this new transition will be one of growth, frustration and complexities.

I will spend one week or so every 6 weeks week. Travel it totally at my discretion and with technology there may be ways to bridge the gap. However, when I was there, there were very few internets rocking the place, so I expect to have some challenges to the way I do business now.

What refreshes me is a culture that doesn't have a hard time with sales. They are born salespeople...they don't view it as a creepy thing to do, like so many here in the states do. They aren't too good to try it and they want something out of their lives...like to eat. And they also don't mind working -- and working hard -- for what they want, which is a challenge for most Americans it seems ( including this one).

This notion fills me with newfound passion and excitement. It causes all my day to day activities to seem more worth doing, more enjoyable. Like the last 13 years may have been a prelude to what may happen next.

I'm taking one of my directors with me -- she speaks Spanish fluently (was a HS spanish/french teacher for 28 years). I'm sure I'll learn more from her, too.

This new opportunity, along with new found writing opportunities that are opening up are filling me with a sense of "rightness", of being "in sync" with some kind of internal calling. Maybe it's God, or some divine sense of order in the world.

All I know is that it feels great.

No comments: