Sunday, January 09, 2005

Spanglish

I saw this movie this afternoon and have to say, it has a lot to offer.

Normally, Adam Sandler doesn't do much for me. In this flick he was adorable. He plays an almost perfect parent -- not one that has all the answers, but perfect in a High E.Q (Emotional Quotient" way.

Tea Leoni is one of my favorites. I loved her in "Family Man"...she isn't as good in this flick, comes off a little high strung (which is what her character is, by the way).

The love story between Sandler's and Vega doesn't really get off the ground. Vega looks like an inspiring Penelope Cruz, much too young to be a mother for this film. And a bit too immature as an actress to compete with Sandler, Leoni.

Some of the best one-liners come from Cloris Leachman who plays the mother of Leoni's character. I liked this one, "Your recent lack of self-esteem is just a good conscience."


The message of the story, however, is affaecting and rewarding.

No comments: