Sunday, December 12, 2004

More Holiday Merriment

I'm really looking forward to "Flight of the Phonix" in theaters this weekend (Dec 17). I have this theory it will serve as a metaphor for business and relationships.

My theory is this and it isn't new -- I believe that our culture is hung up a bit on changes in life, whether it be in relationships or changes in organizations. I am one to thrive more on the changes -- I get a little uncomfortable when things become too comfortable. What I mean is that I view change as intrinsically necessary, if a bit difficult, for the life of relationships and organizations.

I know, I know, everything and everyone is suppose to "live happily ever after" as if we all search for this perfect "status quo" to achieve life's purpose. But I think there are many "ever afters" in the average life of a person or organization.

I can think of several destinations in my marriage where we both had to come to terms with a part of our relationship that was indeed "dead" before we could embrace what was now new in our journey together. In a culture that usually stops at the end of the rainbow, that is sometimes a difficult concept to understand and accept. When Dan and I realized that we could grow independently of each other and not only remain intimate but even become closer when we explore new opportunities independent of each other, it was a huge step for us (about 7 years ago).

I think the same is true of business organizations and or other organizations, too. The church in which I attend I think is in the process of coming to terms with a part of its life that is no longer "workable" and "valid". Before it can have a new breath, lease on life, it must soon come to closure on what it is "not" before it might have a chance to be what it "is".

Indeed, until this can happen then the only thing that could possibly be true is the death of its current form. This is where we have to be really courageous and realize that death is the end of somethings but the beginning of new things...it can be really exciting in some ways, though bittersweet in others.

I guess I want to look for the opportunities rather than be burdened too much by "what use to be".

Like they say, "change or die"...and it really is a choice.


No comments: