Sunday, December 19, 2004

"Flight of the Phoenix"

Overall, disappointing. I was hoping to find some elements of truth in this parable about being lost and finding one's way out of the much. I did find a few gems, but mostly rather predictable film nuances.

The one performance that I truly enjoyed was Giovanni Ribisi who plays "Elliott". I think he is one of the most versatile actors in Hollywood and I hope to see more of him. As I watched his character in this movie, I found myself really caring about him -- which is the entire point of a great actor---play someone that may be unlikeable but you still care about him. You want to figure him out and figure out what makes him "work", or what motivates him. I found myself doing this with his performance. For more on Mr. Ribisi:

Date of birth (location)
17 December 1974Los Angeles, California, USA
Trivia
Won the ShoWest Newcomer of the Year Award in 1999. (show more)
Sometimes Credited As:
Antonino Giovanni RibisiVonnie RibisiVonni Ribisi

Also, for DeNiro Fans, Bobby boy hosted SNL last night. From what I've seen/heard with Hollywood gossip, DeNiro is notoriously self effacing and shy. He's also a method actor, not a spontaneous comic. He seemed to struggle with the live format of SNL. The best part was his monologue with Kermit the Frog. The irony of Mr. Goodfella and the muppet icon was ironic and well, sweet. It was almost like watching my grandfather sing a song to a kid. DeNiro is one of my all-time favorite people, someone I'd love to have lunch with and just talk.

The countdown continues...a mere three days to "Meet the Fockers". There's no way at this point that this film will live up to my hype and expectations, but I still can't wait to go.

No comments: