Wednesday, December 22, 2004

THE BIG DAY

Today, "Meet the Fockers" is in theaters!

We spent the evening last night with some wonderful friends...truly a special evening with food, music, conversation.

Sometimes, I am amazed at God's graciousness to me with the friends and people He has chosen to intersect my life.

My daughter had her wisdom teeth removed today. She is recuperating on the couch while I try not to hover. Dan is the official "family doctor go-er". I get sick just thinking about someone cutting on my kids. I was reading the post-op directions and felt like throwing up just reading about gauze and ice packs and blood. I'm a real medical wimp, so not really much help at all. I make sure there is chicken soup, warm blankets, books to read, music to listen to...and I sit around and look at my kids, but beyond that, I'm totally worthless.

I have been researching some new ideas for some classes...art history and more on contemplative prayer. This continues to be a source of great comfort and it is opening a lot of new areas to explore and ponder. Today I found a wonderful web site that features biblical instrumentation that perhaps King David might have used in the Psalms along with historical pictures of David, Jesus. The old stirrings from my art history classes are making themselves known...I can get really lost in thinking about artists and how they see their world...what that means. One of the most interesting aspects of studying art is how each artist interprets their world and how myopic we all must be when we try to understand the world around us. We simply cannot see the world without showing our own prejudices and imprints.

I am reading and re-reading the works of Watchmen Nee (Sit, Stand, Walk) and am profoundly captivated by his ideas:

"Most Christians make the mistake of trying walk in order to be able to sit but that is a reversal of the true order. Our natural reason says, IF we don not walk, how can we ever reach the goal? What can we attain without effort? How can we ever get anywhere if we do not move? But Christianity is a queer business! If at the outset we try to do anything, we get nothing. If we seek to attain something we lose everything. For Christianity begins not with the big DO, but with the big DONE." (Watchman Nee, "Sit Walk, Stand"


No comments: