Monday, November 29, 2004

Still working on 2500 words a day

I've been doing the discipline of writing -- just writing -- 2500 words or more a day. That is no easy order. The first few days went by fine, but then I found myself having to really dig for new ideas..which is exactly what this discipline is trying to accomplish. Then as I started with characters things really began to take off. Great therapy, too. That snippy little waitress at the cafe? I can re-write her to have a limp and a buck tooth. Friend of mine getting on my nerves? I can write him or her to have gout or some other terrible disease. Now I know why writers are probably also control -freaks...great way to control an imaginary world.

I may be upgrading my current laptop in a few months as prices on laptops continue to spiral downward. I find myself writing more and more in the times between appointments and just when I'm out and about.

I'm still trying to make sense of the after thanksgiving rushes. Today I returned to a store that was packed -- with lines out the door -- to return some items that didn't quite work. There was hardly anybody in the store, though most of the merchandise was still heavily discounted. I've about decided that the whole "after thanksging" rush is designed for those that are addicted to the adrenaline rush of having huge crowds of people push you and prod you around a crowded, sweaty store. For my money, I'll pay the extra price for any "deal" I may have missed on some special discounted day.


No comments: