Saturday, June 25, 2005

Bewitched

It's cheesy, predictable, gooey-sweet. Should come with a warning: DO NOT watch if you are diabetic or easily annoyed by goofy writing and skitchsy themes.

I loved it.

For all the reasons that I loved the original Bewitched....in fact, I was the one laughing the loudest during the clips of the original show.

I've tried really hard to "not" like Nicole Kidman, but alas, I must give in and admit it...she's amazing. True, it's easier to love her now that she is no longer Ms. Cruise. Personally, I think maybe he dumped her because he somehow knew - she'd probably get more billing than he would someday.

And what can I say about Will Ferrell? (Those "backhair" skits from SNL still ring in my head everytime I see him.) He isn't the funniest guy I've ever seen - I certainly like other comics better. But he's somehow been able to make the transition from his sophomoric days at SNL to holding his own in a scene with heavyweights like Michael Caine, Shirley MacLain and other Hollywood legends.

I also liked this movie for the simple fact that it had great supporting casts. Jason Schwartzman and Heather Burns rounded out a great casts that supported and added depth to an already full slate of actors and actresses.

There were some slack moments, to be sure. I didn't care much for the performance of "Uncle Arthur" although I love the comic who does him -- the guy on the "Office" and also a big hit in "Bruce Almighty" as the anchorman that loses his cool at the desk.

I also saw some great upcoming flicks, including "In her Shoes" with one of my cult favorites -- Toni Collette. I was encouraged by the offerings in spite of the dismal selection of movies currently playing -- I'll avoid spectacularly boring fare such as "War of the Worlds" and "Batman Begins" just because I've already heard more than I care to about the new little love birds.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/bewitched/site/

No comments: