Saturday, April 09, 2005

Gardner's Journal: Pond, Day 2

We moved about a ton of dirt that has been sitting in our yard around the pond forms that will soon be the pond. This is the place that was going to be a pond, and then a pool and now its going to be a pond again. Reason: my argument won out...looking out onto bleak open pool during Nov/Dec isn't my idea of a pleasant view.

But, the pool is still in discussion and the new site will be much better...in fact, I think it will work out great to have a small cottage near it for changing, bathrooms etc...keeping wet feet out of the main house.

Nathan and Dan did a lot of the heavy lifting on this, while I served as more the "site coordinator". That kind of work is really hard on me...Dan tells me to dig the "right way", not with my back but with my knees..but I can't seem to do it..so it is harder for me.

I took some pics of the pond area and will post later as we near completion. Right now the objective is to get the dirt moved around the forms and start a design for planting...trees/shrubs right now...more perennials, etc. later. This pond will also feature a "spitter" and a fountain and a bridge. I'd also like to get lights.

I'm not sure about fish. If we do fish, it'll be goldfish that can get huge when in larger pond areas. The pond is actually two ponds with a connecting bridge to make it "look" like one large pond. The total gallons --- about 400 I think. This will make total number of water features in our garden to 4...and I'm sure there will be more.

The exterior plantings with color, in front of the pergola will be really attractive. Lots to do.

No comments: