Sunday, March 13, 2005

Gardener's Journal

This week, I'll begin the task of getting new organic soil into the beds and finishing clean up of old plants.

I've been scoping out several new web sites that have great selections for mail/on-line ordering. I think this is one of the best things to happen to gardening...you get much higher quality of plants and usually better prices from individual growers. And you generally get a better selection, too.

Today I found www.heirloomroses.com which features roses that are easy to grow and have long stability. I am not a big "hybrid" rose fan..they are like Arkansas cousins...too in bred to be much good.

Heirloom roses (sometimes called "heritage roses") are roses that one might find along deserted farm houses that ramble up and down fences. They have profuse blooms but generally not much scent. They are not what you find in the florist on Valentine's Day. They are wonderfully different, with magical scents and extraordinary habits. These kinds of roses are best used (in my opinion) in beds filled with lots of perennials. Again, I'm more of the "higgly piggly" type gardener so more formal gardeners probably would not enjoy these as much.

No comments: