Sunday, January 30, 2005

Prayer concert?

Why do things dealing with prayer usually manifest themsleves in glorified devos? Who decides what the "sounds of family" sound like? Would my teenager banging on drums be the "sound of family?" If not, why not?

Why are we so dull, so lacking in creativity? Why do only two people get to "plan" events like this? Who gets to drink the Kool-Aid and who gets to be left out?
Why are we so hung up on "leaving out others" so that egos can be assauged? What ever happened to building people and allowing free expression of gifts? Why do the only people who get to be built up also get to be paid for doing it? Is that service?

Why do we allow such great opportunities to be defined by less-than-mediocre experiences?


For me, watching my Jewish friends pray with their prayer shawls, teaches me more about prayer than anything I've ever learned in a "christian" church.

No comments: