Sunday, January 30, 2005

More on "Gilead"

I spent two hours this morning re-reading the story of Jacob and Laband their covenant at Gilead, which helped me considerably unlock the intention of the book that I now adore, "Gilead".

I read it during the sermon this morning ....I can't put it down. I can visualize the actors in the play or movie that might come from it...Robert DuVall would be perfect as Ames and someone like Anthony Hopkins would be great for Boughton. I haven't decided yet on who would be right for the part of Jack...someone smug like a Ed Wood could pull it off.

It's a great novel, of which I am sure I cannot even begin to give it its fair due. I try to read some of the scenes out loud to Dan, he smiles and shows some interest, but he doesn't get it yet.

Although church wasn't all a waste of time...there was a baby dedication and some w/f (my acronym for 'warm and fuzzy') music played and I thought about my father or lack thereof...and then I thought how God does really provide..how he has given me Dan's dad what I like to call my "second chance dad" and I realize he did really provide for me above all. I can't always see that God does that..and it wasn't in the way I thought God might have done. I've spent considerable time being upset with Him on the whole way he handled my family...I think He could have done a better job at that...but in the end, He is God and I'm not..and He does provide and I should be more thoughtful of that than I am.


No comments: