Friday, September 02, 2005

Thoughts from a CNN Hostage

I feel that I need a big sign, "HELP ME" as I sit in front of the endless interviews.
The unfolding disaster of Hurricane Katrina has transfixed me and I've been at times
amazed, saddened, horrified and angry.

Amazed that an entire city can be gone in a matter of minutes. As helicopters drop 3,000 pound sand bags by broken levy, I can't help but think that these look like croutons dropped into a soup bowl.

Saddened that lives are gone for too much water and for not enough.

Horrified that a place I visited as early as January (I walked from the convention center to my hotel, eating at Emeril's and visiting the Southern Art museum) is now completely gone.

But I am angry that some would believe that because they are black or poor that they are being neglected or ignored based upon the facts that they are "not white or rich". I find that accusation mean-spirited and lacking in reason. Which is fine -- I wouldn't be reasonable if I hadn't eaten for five days.

The idea that government on any level -- local, state or federal -- can be the end all for people in times such as this is simply unrealistic.

For all the strategic planning, for all the programs, meetings and official people cannot legisilate human kindness, caring, love, hope.

What I find reassuring is where government, the cold, sometimes heartless entity, may have failed it has given opportunity for the human touch -- the soul of any city -- to rally.

Disasters of this magnitude cannot be fixed, strategized, made right by the likes of military and programs. It can only be cushioned by those who have the willingness and the boldness to venture forward.

No comments: