Sunday, August 07, 2005

Peter Jennings -- I'll miss you

I just learned that Peter Jennings, one of my all time favorite television personalities died today. Here's the whole story --

ABC News Anchor Peter Jennings Dies at 67

I have often punctuated my day by being near the TV at 5:30 just so Peter can give me, as he calls it, a "rough draft of history" for the day. There was something curiously comforting about his style that no other anchor I can recall. He was dashingly handsome, winsome in his ways and just plain street smart. I didn't know until today that he started broadcasting without a degree in high school or college. Yet, he has said that every day in his adult life he learned something and for that, I love him. That quality, his ability to search and ask questions, gave him the resonance on the air that book smart anchors lacked.

He was the one I turned to during national crisis, his reporting during Sept 11 was particularly reassuring to me because I knew that whatever he knew, he'd tell me. He was always someone that I would have enjoyed simply sitting down with a cup of coffee and talking about ideas.

No comments: