Saturday, August 13, 2005

Movie to see: "Beautiful Country"

Attention to detail, irony and compassion, beauty and human fraility all mix together to create the film, "Beautiful Country" http://www.sonyclassics.com/beautifulcountry/frame.html

It's not going to get major kudos from hollywood elite, nor will it garnish praise from reviewers. But a good story -- along with a director with an eye for what makes a scene "sing" -- will always win my praise.

I think what makes this story so compelling is that it touches a central core that is so deeply engrained in all of us -- the search for self, knowing where one is and where one is going. Those issues are only answered when we know in some part from where we have come.

What I sincerely appreciated about the film is that it was both beautiful and deeply true to its characters. The actors look and act like real people...I am not reminded that I'm "watching a scene". I also appreciate that each character has a heady mix of good and bad, beauty and ugliness, hope and hopelessness. This is a film that resonates and rings true.

No comments: