Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Gardner's Journal: The Mundane

Now is the time of the year when all the "un-glamorous" chores have to be done. Weeds have overcome some of my garden so I spend about 30 minutes in a.m./p.m. digging them out, swearing all along that I meant to plant something there. Nature truly does hate a vacuum and what's not planted upon or in, will surely be rabid with Oklahoma's finest bermuda.

August heat is zapping a good part of my yard but perennials and roses are thriving with regular watering because of the energy saving mulch. It's a pain to do, but it sure makes for easier gardening during these hot, hot months.

Overall, I'm pleased with my garden this year. I will plant some additional shrubs and trees in late October and November and I'll put some mums out in some of these places that are sporting weeds right now. I did at least 3 new gardens this year and have plans for additional ones later in the fall. The more "fun" work of digging, planting and creating.

Still, I have to ponder this mundane maintainance. It's truly the biggest part of gardening...not all can be creating and digging and plunging into the earth. In fact, that part of the job -- though exciting and fulfilling -- is a very small part of the gardening experience. Without the mulching, the watering, the weeding the is little of gardening left. Those that don't enjoy these humble chores truly don't enjoy gardening. It's the stuff that makes gardening gardening.

And, it is revealing how much I can get done in 20 minutes blocks of time when I really put my heart into it. Sometimes, the sheer volume of work can be overwhelming. I stand in the middle of a puddle of weeds and sigh, not sure where to begin. The truth is, you begin where you are. You kneel and go to it. And after a few minutes, maybe 20, you've made some serious progess.

This simple reality is remarkable. What can seem to be too big can truly be done in smaller bites. Paying off bills. Remodeling a house. Rebuilding a relationship. It's not the big stuff that really matters -- it's the day to day stuff that seems to hold things together, keep the moving, keeping them healthy.

No comments: