Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Gardner's Journal: Maintainance

My morning schedule is as follows: after walking and running, I haul the very heavy and very tangled hose out to the front and water the new plants. I then weed. And weed. And weed.

Then, I eat a quick breakfast, go into back yard where I water more and weed more. The weeding and watering is all that matters now.

There are still garden stores filled with color and plants but I'm done planting for this year. Come Fall, I will be at it again.

I've already started the grand plans for three new gardens -- one on the South side of my house which I think will have a mediterranean influence. Then, the pond garden (which I'm laying some of the hardscaping now) will need to be tended to. And then on the North side, I want to expand the front border and clean it up a bit. The previous owners really seemed to enjoy native rock -- and I don't - so I'm re-doing the borders using retaining walls.

But for now "gardening" is deadheading the roses, keeping weeds to minimum and keeping things watered. This will be the word for the next 8 weeks or so. It's not the glamorous work that creating the designs are (my favorite) but it is necessary and essential. My garden can sustain itself with new plantings just from the perennials that are now growing...so keeping them healthy is important.

I see a lot of things I want to change -- too much yellow here, not enough height over there. I need a better record keeping system than I have...I fly by the seat of my pants too much.

No comments: