Saturday, May 21, 2005

Gardner's Journal: Fall Plans

We continue leveling the area around the new ponds. At first I thought I'd build a bridge between the small island-like area between the ponds. Now I have another idea, taken from something I saw in a magazine. I am thinking, instead, to use a pathway that is, in essence a bridge, but softer and less formal.

I've decided to get some youpons which are my favorite foundational plants. There are several varieties but what I enjoy about them is their eternally evergreen nature. They grow tall like trees (in effect some varieties are) and keep their leaves year round. They take the heat well and they grow with vigor.

I usually plant in threes, establishing a backdrop or rhythm, sometimes in a triangle so that there are lots of geometric shapes taking "shape" before your eyes as you look towards the garden. It's an old design trick...repeat in odd numbers with a similar texture, color or shape. Any good painting will have this if you look closely enough. Gardening is simply living art, which is why, I think, it can become an obsession. Art calls upon the primordial nature of our souls which can only be answered with creating new, living things. It is a call that cannot be ignored and once you hear it, you hear little else.

Today the weather is expected to reach 95 degrees so the weeks prior of mulching, watering will pay off. No more planting for this year until Fall when I hope to put the beginning brush strokes of a new garden onto the canvas.

No comments: