Monday, March 21, 2005

Women's role -- the discussion begins

I heard a sermon recently upon the role of women in church. This question may be one of the greatest questions left unanswered and unaddressed, at least in my experience of "church".

But it's been answered by many of us long ago.

Most women I know -- many running families, companies and large organizations know one true thing: that when they walk through the thresholds of church they are no longer people. The walk through the doors and they become just a sexual being.

This is a strong way to put it, but there are only three ways a woman can exist in the current church paradigm:

a - she can be the docile wife and mother, smiling throwing tea parties, nodding and smiling
b - she can be considered a (perjorative word here) when she attempts to use her own skills at expressing her ideas and what she has learned
c - she can be a threat -- both to men and women -- who consider her intelligence something to be feared.

I hear a lot of talk about churches becoming "healthy" and all that. I maintain that until we get the women's role figured out, we're gonna be kind of messed up. Any organization that uses only half its resources would be no different.

I know most of the arguments, most of the scriptures. One doesn't have to be a feminist to understand that churches have really struggled with this issue and is doing badly at re-defining a workable definition fo what women can do for God. I know - -God doesn't need anyone doing anything for Him...but the gift of expression is critical for any relationship. I see no need to have it different for women and their relationship with God. It's not love until you give something.

I think that it isn't only the men who have the issues. My thinking is that the women involved are at least as much a part of the problem. Most women benefit somehow from this current paradigm...the less responsibility in undersanding theology, in critically understanding scripture, in not questioning one's role means you get less -- less responsibility, less credibility, less of everything. It may simply be simpler to not ask these kinds of questions.

Or, they work too hard at trying to be a part of the church's voice and in that struggle become exactly what others fear -- too strong, too domineering, too loud.

I also think women need to become comfortable with a different understanding of themselves and their role. They will need to become comfortable with standing on their own with their ideas and their own gifts.

I have no real hope that my lifetime will render any real progress on this important issue. I have some small hope that my daughter may see a different reality. Until then, most of those who have gifts that don't fall under cooking, teaching children will find their gifts best used in industry or other organizations that can appreciate what all people can bring to the table.

So, church, keep on talking. But my guess...you won't really change until you're forced to change and by then, the change you make will be meaningless. Like a husband who takes out the trash only when his wife yells at him, the gesture doesn't really exhibit love but guilt-induced action.

1 comment:

Maurie said...

Amen, lil' bro. You were always the smartest of the gang.

I am taking your advice, slowly but surely. Loved the parable...you got your brains from me.