Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Taxes and other diseases

Today, I created an empire.

Not really...just a corporation. After taking a beating on taxes the last few years, I finally made the move to incorporate.

I'm proud to be an American, but can be just as proud for half as much. And, since I don't look that great in orange, it's probably best that I work out some arrangement that can keep me and my family eating as well as keep me out of jail.

Today was also a red letter day for Nathan..we bought him his first suit. That is, suit, tie, the works. The last time he wore a suit -- he was about 3 and it was a red bowtie that I remember. He will be going to the prom along with other HS senior events so this seemed a better purchase than renting a tux. And I have to say, he's quite handsome in his new duds.

I've been reflecting a lot on life's passages lately...if the twenty-something's can yell into a "infinite abyss" (Garden State the movie) then I suspect that the best metaphor for us over 40 is bridging the infinite abyss...one hand on your parents, one arm stretched out to your teenage kids and you just hope that you can keep it together before one of them lets go.

Yep, I'll go with that.

You've already experienced the highs of low of a career, and know that there is much much more of interest outside making money and buying stuff. You've learned your lessons (hopefully) regarding your spouse -- and you know that even on bad days, starting over with someone else is just crazy. If Dan and I ever split up, I am not getting a man, but a whole team of experts to clean my house, drive me around..etc., etc,....that is what it would take to replace him.

By the time you're my age, you've quit watching sitcoms and started paying attention to the ads for prescription drugs and enjoying it more. You've quit worrying about what is fashionable and instead worry about what is comfortable. You've stopped thinking about your portfolio and you think more about how much longer you have with your growing kids.

You, in short, really start to live.

No comments: