Monday, February 21, 2005

Snake in my bedroom

Sunday's weather was so wonderful, so breezy and warm, that I left my back door open for a bit to enjoy. Some fresh air can do wonders for the dull darkness of winter weather.

I forgot that I had a big puddle in the back yard...I call it a pond, but it's mostly a dirty puddle with some scraggly plants trying to survive. I forgot that snakes seek high ground and warm tile, of which my bedroom has plenty. I forgot that most snakes are just now starting to awaken for their summer munching.

But I remembered all this as I awakened this morning, groaning in the light of a new day -- a MONDAY. My eyes dim with sleep, I swing my legs over the bed and then a sound, like a baby's rattle, but softer and yet more intense.

I shake my eyes open, still unbothered, reaching for sleep, knowing its gone now for another 14 or 18 hours...then, that sound again.

I get real still. The house is still, quiet. Kids are at practice. Dan working. It's technically a "holiday", so things at our house are a bit more calm. Again, the sound.

I awaken now, on guard. I look to the corner of the room, where a small but firm coil is tucked into a corner, on the tile near the door, its head moving like those break dancers I see on TV...its head is moving, but its body is really still.

I'd be fascinated if I wasn't sitting in my pj's with my bare feet dangling over the side of my bed within reach if he stretched out fully.

We watch each other for a bit..does he see me? Is it a HE? I get real still, watching its tongue shiver. I heard once that snakes use their tongues to smell, so maybe he's (?) sniffing me, undoubtedly smelling the fear that now is prevelent...I'm scared. Oh boy, am I scared.

My brothers always knew that if they really wanted to frighten me, go out into the wheat field behind our ramshackle house and find a small snake -- even a baby -- and hold it in my face and the requisite big sister's scream would fill the neighborhood. Cheap thrills, better than watching a horror movie for them. I'd plot my revenge for days. This fear of snakes is unrealistic, illogical but oh so REAL.

I curl back up slowly, watching, looks like I'm not going anywhere for a bit.

No comments: