Saturday, February 12, 2005

My review "Garden State"

I watched Garden State on a rainy Saturday afternoon which made the poignant scenes all that much more deep and real.

Garden State is the 20's generation coming of age movie. I'm not twenty, but I felt 20 while I was watching it bacause it captures what most "coming of age" movies do..that bittersweet abyss (?) between what was and what is. In short, it captures what any transition in life can be for us...scary, boring, exciting, exhilerating, confusing.

There are important scenes which the movie uses along with its well rounded sound track and great artsy shots that build the story of a young man (Zach Braff) who is finding his way after his mother's death. So well done are these moments that I felt myself feeling, "I have BEEN there!"

I didn't see this movie in the theater which made the discovery of it that much better...like a treasure on a damp Saturday that one doesn't expect, it's suprising and fulfiling.

No comments: