Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Thoughts on transition

I started thinking today about an idea...how does a church -- or any organization for that matter -- die? Not "how" does it die, but in what way. At some point every thing dies...and I think dying with dignity is important.

I've never heard any "rules" about how to do it...yet it must happen all the time...but with less success than I think it could be, if some thought were given to it. Maybe, the time comes when we have to say, "this has had a good run...it's time to call it a day.." and then, allow something -- an event, an idea, an organization to laspe into that great unknown, gracefully.

How do you do that? How do you let go of dreams and ideas so that new ventures, ideas can begin to emerge from the ashes? How do you close out what is so that what can be occurs?

I'm just asking...I have no concrete ideas on that...but the idea that it can be done -- done well - is intriguing to me.

No comments: