Friday, December 10, 2004

Surreal encounter

"You can see the sunset from here."

I looked up from my book to see a tall gentleman, standing in front of the large plate glass which looked out over the parking lot. The sun had set a few minute prior and all that was left was a cool gray sky with cirrus clouds in the distance.

"Yes", I said. "you can".

I went back to reading my book. My 5 PM was running late, I was hungry and wanted to get home before the traffic got any worse.

A few minutes later the same guy is sitting at a table not far from me and he's talking again. I try to be polite, answer a few of his questions, keep reading my book, watching the time all along.

"Not much to do around here, is there?" he asks. "I mean, I'm from Minneopolis and the culture there is great."

Now here's something I can talk about. Growing up in Oklahoma I ran away to the big city -- New York -- for a few years, until the red dirt and grandmother's pot roast called me back. Still I miss the museums, the shows, the grit of New York.

"No" I agreed. "Not much. But it has a certain provencial charm."
"Reminds me of Arkansas" he said, taking a drink of his coffee.

Wierdo, I think. I look again at my watch. I've obviously been stood up, not uncommon during holidays. Which is why, I think, I dislike them so much. No one wants to do anything but party, shop, two talents for which I share no passion.

"So I travel a lot -- here six months on a contract."

And then, he dropped the bomb. "But my faith in God sustains me."

I start to gather my stuff. I can see where this is headed. Another quack on the bible bandwagon. I gotta go.

He watches me, a bit sadly and then, "So, are you a Christian?"

I stop. I think. "I, well, uhm, yes, I think...yes. I am" I stagger through it, not meeting his eyes. I really, really need to go.

"So are you or aren't you?" He truly is beginning to worry me.

I say nothing. I'm now a bit afraid. Why is he creeping me out so much?

He leans forward, elbows on knees. "When I said that, you got really uncomfortable. Why?"

I stop, put down my keys, look right at him. "Because living here, being a christian isn't always something I'm proud of." I say. "My experience with those that say "christian" isn't always a good thing." There, I've said it.

"Can you wait just a minute, I have something I want to give you."

Oh, God, a real holy roller, Jesus quack. I won't meet his gaze.

"Sure" I say. But I've got my bag on my shoulder, I'm clearly perched for take off.

He goes out to his car and returns with some books.

"Here" he says. "These are for you."

I take the slim volumes, by some author I'd vaguely heard of. Books always get my attention and I say, "uhm, thanks".

"I believe there are many of us who are looking for the depths of God. Read these. Pray."

He then gets up and walks away. He doesn't ask for my name. He doesn't want my number. He leaves before I do and doesn't ask for a contribution.

I think about this man, this encounter all the way home. I could write it off as some quack who just likes to ruffle people.

But I have to be honest. He wasn't intrusive. He wasn't angry. He wasn't even "preachy". He just offered and left his gift.

The books are on prayer and are very good. Would it surprise you to know that I have been praying for guidance on prayer...for how to know God better? Is it too much of a coincidence that this man would hand me these books, literally out of thin air.

Or is this just some crazy coffee shop experience?


No comments: