Tuesday, December 07, 2004

New Age Shopping

I noticed that some of the trends that we talk so much about at corporate meetings, etc., are making themselves known in retail. As I walked the mall today (something I do maybe once in decade...isn't that why God made the internet, to shop without the walk?) I visited a store that has some of my favorite products, where I could "personalize" my own aromatherapy and customize my own gift basket with scents that will do everything from energize to stimulate to invigorate. Before I left with my purchases, I was invited to enjoy a few "moment of relaxation" with a back massage. I declined...I love massages, but something about straddling the chair in the shop window of a mall, while many other shoppers watched, didn't appeal to me.

Then, I walked down a few paces and discovered that I could customize my own smoothie with whatever "add in" I might want -- vitamins, etc.

I also noticed today that cell phones were in everyone's ear or should I say BLUETOOTH is on everyone's ear, so we all walk around like some transplant from a space trilogy. People use to get thrown into psych wards for the same behaviour, talking to themselves as they walked.

We seem to be in search of comfort and peace, yet unable to connect to the moment. I stood in the store, awaiting my custom mix, while all around people were "connecting" to others via palm pilots, cell phones. You couldn't really talk to anybody, they were already in a conversation. So in the midst of a busy mall at one of the busiest times of the year, I stood there, almost alone, yet surrounded by people. It was surreal.


No comments: