Monday, November 13, 2006

Three recommendations

I have been working on a "This year's best" of sights/sounds around T-town that are worth seeing and/or doing. Haven't made much progress, but here's a few suggestions on what's happening now..

First of all, if you haven't seen "Stranger than Fiction" make it a point to do so. I loved this fable of transformation and awakening. I loved everything about it -- I loved the actors (hey, can you see the "Sonic" guys in this flick?"), I especially loved the story and the imagery was amazing. The reason I loved this film is because you leave the theater thinking. It asks great questions such as "what story are you IN?" but it doesn't leave you with a headache from hitting you over the head with its messages. Participatory and entertaining it now ranks as one of my "top 10 best movies of all time" for me personally.

Best book I've read so far this year: "Squirrel Inc" by Stephen Denning. Again, a fable about the transformative power of various storytelling ideas.

Best cuppaccino: QuikTrip's Peppermint Cappuccino (all of .79 cents). Beats the big chains hands down. And where else can you get a chocolate chip muffin the size of your car?

Here are some other "Tulsa Best"...

Best burger in town: On Wednesday's, McNellie's (1st street) has $3 burger night. A real burger that is as big as your face with choice of fries -- either sweet potato or regular. Burger even has tomato, lettuce and condiments. Amazing value. And the bartenders make you laugh. They laugh at me because I am the only one at the bar sucking down an unsweetened iced tea (not the Long Island kind).

Best place to see a movie: AMC 20 (promenade) on Sunday afternoon - hardly anybody is there - I've watched a ton of movies by myself, like my own private screening room. I laugh, I cry, I throw popcorn at the screen.

Best Italian Food: Andolini's Pizza (Owasso). Great atmosphere, great prizes and it's authentic. I go every weekend and yeah, it doesn't hurt that my kid waits on me when she's working there.

Working on more "bests" for end of year, posted later.

1 comment:

Ken Conlee said...

I met a lady today driving a pink cadillac. I asked her from the window my purple convertible to please give me a catalog. I have an aunt to wishes for cosmetics from her firm. I met that person...I also met a very talented well spoken writer who is deeply involved in literature, theology, art, movies, communicating, children, teaching, and helping those who need a little boost along the way...and she is a wonderful mother. She has invited me to meet her for a $3 hamburger. A most unusual meeting.
But one I cannot wait to attend to see what words, word pictures and statements I will encounter from the most unusual meeting I have ever had in my life. Her blogs...a great insight. It is unfortunate that we trod along through talent and fail to fully achieve talent because we are encompassed with all of the intricate details of rules. If this lady, should only read her own blogs and realize they were written without rules...then she would find the source for her essays, her short stories, novels, novelettes, etc.and one day be one of greatness in the literary world.
Her likeness to the late Erma Bombeck is uncanny. One of my favorite writers of the 20th century. And a note...the garage...
her husband has the hoses to tie up the trees just in case you ever have trees to tie up. A great metaphoric irony...think on it.

1st Street at Snellies!