Monday, November 21, 2005

38,000 words and other such fun

I'm watching David Letterman, my 2nd favorite show in all the world. OK, third...my first being my newly developed addiction to Law and Order (all versions). Next is Jon Stewart and then is David Letterman. I'm ecstatic to report that Oprah will be on the "Superbowl of Love" on Dec 1, really, it's true. Yes, Letterman, after 16 years of paying penance for his bungle of the Academy Awards -- who can forget the amazing, "Oprah - Uma" debacle -- Oprah is finally coming on the show.

I'm a little upset though on the recent phenomenon that I see with all the ads on television. I didn't think too much about Dylan advertising Victoria's Secret. And I turned a blind eye when car companies used songs that I earned good money bagging groceries (a week's salary!) to hear at the OKC Myriad. I guess I didn't think too much about the marketing approach...but that was then and this is now.

Who the HECK suggested that Target would use "Boogie Wonderland" to advertise some of theire retro/shlick ads this season? I'll admit to some heavy metal and I'll come clean on some ELO (which was used for something I saw the other day). But "Boogie Wonderland"? What self-respecting middle age shmuck is going to sit there and dance out to that innane melody while watching seasonal ads for Target? Not me.

It's bad enough that my kids turn to me and ask me, "what song IS THAT?" when Chrysler or "zoom zoom" advertises their stuff? And I admit, it's pretty deft to see that the marketing execs have finally figured out that most of us in this generation listened to more music than we read anything? It's bad enough to see music legends being reduced to advertising pansies and I draw the line at being pandered to with "Boogie Wonderland". I'm initiating a one week personal boycott of my local Target for stooping this low.

Are you with me? I say forget about it if Target has Starbucks and other designer goods. This new gimmick is as bad as that creepy Burger King man. They must go!

No comments: