Sunday, November 20, 2005

34,000 words - we're almost there

My "novel" is now at 34,000 words and I'm ecstatic. I find that working my job, family aroundmy writing really can be done -- I am more of a sprinter, though, doing a 30 minute write several times a day instead of one long sit down. That's also how I work in my job, too, so that must be a rhythm that works for me.

I have been reading along with writing, the memoir "Million Little Pieces". I think reading is an important part of writing, without it, I wouldn't have moments of abject disappointment in realizing that my novel may never approach the brilliance of another. Seriously, writing and reading are two pieces of the same puzzle and they build on each other. Reading a great book only inspires me to want to write more -- not less - so it's a good way to feed the muse when you're going for word count.

I'd like to say something about this book because it is a profound experience for me. The thing about great writing is that it can be viewed on so many levels. The part of this book that resonates so much with me is the author's dogged determination for healing from addictions. There is a scene in the book where he must undergo painful dentistry (is there any other kind??) and he must do it without any kind of painkillers or anesthia since he is in rehab. This is a graphic piece in the book and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that has a squemish stomach (or has nightmares of their dentist).

What is profound to me about this scene is the willingness to which the author subjected himself so that he could find wholeness and healing. Literally being strapped into a dentist chair, with no anesthia and no painkillers while he undergoes two root canals.

The reason this book has such a profound impact upon me is that I talk to people everyday who claim that they want their lives to be different, that they want it to change 0r they want to change. I often say that, too, and yet I have to ask myself, am I willing to undergo the transforming power of change to get there? Change generally happens when there is only enough pain to force the change to occur and generally not until (speaking personally).

I have to admit, I probably am not and the courage to which the author applies to the process of health and wholeness is inspirational to me.

The book offers a profound insight into addictions of all kinds and I am more convinced than ever that most of us, including myself, have our own "drug of choice" to which we are faithful.

I am not sure yet if I agree with all the authors premises or if I agree with him totally on his position on God or a "higher power". I do think the book offers some interesting questions for those that are courageous enough to ask them about the power of change, the power of healing and what we do to find these transforming qualities and what we do to avoid them.

No comments: