Thursday, September 08, 2005

Taking inspiration

While listening to the radio today, I heard stories of people in the Gulf Coast region that are determined to rebuild their jobs, their homes, their lives.

At first I scoffed at this. And then, I took inspiration from it.

This is not to say that I understand, really, on any level what the people in that region are going through. My life has had its share of disappointments but I've never had my entire home, job, life taken from me. So these comments aren't in any way meant to minimize the pain of those who are rebuilding lives.

But who among us has not had something that was once precious to us that was then taken or destroyed? And, (and this is where I take inspiration) many times, I just give up. Say, "it's too hard" or "it'll never be the same..".

And both statements are more than true. Rebuilding is hard and it will never the be same. That is hardly the point.

What is the point? The point is, I think, hope.

It is uncanny that over the weekend - a weekend filled with so little hope from the Gulf States, that I saw my favorite movie of all time, "Shawshank Redemption" -- a movie that portrays hope in such a way that every time I see it, I cry. And my favorite moment? That would be when Tim Robbins' character says, "The way I see it, you either get busy living or you get busy dying."

When I remember those lines -- and see the courageous people that are doing just that -- living, that is, -- I am challenged to look at my own life, at my own failings, at my own disappointments. Some things can never be repaired, it's true. And some things can be rebuilt more beautiful and with more soul than ever before.

No comments: