Sunday, September 18, 2005

100 Great Movie Quotes

I spent late last night recovering from a long day at a vendor show. I could blog on this subject for an eternity -- the times I've done shows like this, how to do it, what NOT to do. Yeah, maybe that would be a good topic to discuss.

I arrived home late and was looking for something to help me wind down. Bravo (www.bravotv.com) had the perfect solution - 100 Great Movie quotes

AFI: 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes.

From DeNiro's "You talkin' to me?" to Hepburn's "You do know how to whistle don't you..."
there are a million quotes that we toss around that come directly from the movies. Funny thing, though, of all the quotes the most quotes came from one movie, "Casablanca" which is why it is sometimes called the best written movie of all time (I could disagree on a million points but I'll save that, too, for another blog time).

The thing I found interesting is that so many of the quotes that we "remember" weren't in the movies at all. Or they weren't in the movies as we remember them. Example, "Play it Again, Sam" is actually, "Play it Again, will you Sam?" or something like that. And yet some of the original "quotes" are burned into the American psyche and we remember them a certain way -- a way in which they were never said.

I loved this walk through the movies and enjoyed especially the comments made by some of my favortie actors and actresses. I spend Sundays writing, reading and watching movies - its become a new kind of religious experience for me. Which is interesting, because so many of the best movies deal with themes that often are associated with "religion" - redemption, salvation, evil and good.

I'm off to see "An Unfinished Life" and I'll share my thoughts on this movie later.

No comments: