Sunday, August 21, 2005

Joyce Carol Oates

I'm reading "I'll take you there" by Joyce Carol Oates (http://www.harpercollins.com/authorintro/index.asp?authorid=7275) one of my all time favorite authors.

When I read her stuff I am both amazed and disappointed. Amazed that someone can write with such conviction resonance. Disappointed that I think "can I ever, ever write like that?"

I find myself also wondering, "how many pages did she write to get that one great scene? how many times did her editor say, 'again and again'? did she ever suffer from fear of writing someting that seemed too close to her, too personal?"

Reading a book by Joyce Carol Oates is for me like drinking a long, tall glass of water. It both refreshes and renews. She's on my "would love to meet in this lifetime" list.

No comments: