Friday, July 22, 2005

On my reading shelf

I've been writing and reading a good deal lately, including writing a lot of creative works for work (more tech stuff). Here's what I'm reading this week:

Writing Creative Nonfiction (Edited by Carolyn Forche and Philip Gerard)...so far awesome...great fodder for writing.

Handbook of English Grammar and Usage (OK, I'm not really reading it, my mentor/editor "suggested" that I have it nearby...seems I keep getting my verb tenses screwy...or is that "screwed"? Either way...I am.)

"The Leadership Challenge" (Kouzes Posner) positively the best resource on digging deep into the experience of building and developing people...I have the journal and the workbook. Not for the faint of heart, a mere 500 pages of reading...take your time.

This week, I've written and almost finished AND even started the submission process with one of my essays..and I've started the biggest part of my speech for an upcoming conference. There are moments when the disparate streams of my life join and the rush of the momentum is truly a spiritual moment...things all make sense, even if my verb tense does not (do not????? AUGHHHHH).

All this to say that the one thing I will take a sword for here in my 41st year -- my creative life has to be nourished...i have set up a daily writing time and actually kept with it during a hectic "back at work" week, I have a new place to write so that I can drink/eat a little while I'm at it. I am no longer willing to postpone the time I spend creating...I am happiest when I'm in the throes of new ideas and new thoughts -- reading, writing, thinking. It is the time in which I'm happiest and I love the new people that are helping me create that part of my life more fully. I'd probably starve if I wrote for a living, but I'll starve in another way if I don't...so who knows where this will take me...right now, it's just good to finally get to a place where I am making room for and taking time for something that I've always wanted to do.

No comments: