Sunday, July 17, 2005

He greeted me at the door when I arrived home to show me his new clothes he purchased from his own summer job. We went to his room where he was packing, clothes strewn every which way. He stopped a minute and strummed his guitar, practicing what must be every teenager's dream chorus on the guitar, "Stairway to Heaven".

I listened as he told me about his week and about his excitement for the upcoming week. I tried to keep my face from showing what my heart was already feeling -- that this is one more doorway he is walking through that will eventually lead him away for good.

I have tried hard as a parent to give my kids the space they need to develop themselves in their own direction. I have tried my best to help them learn how to think more than what to think. I think the most important job a parent can do is to eliminate their kids need for their parents.

Even with that approach, watching my children start down their own life paths is both reassuring and terrifying. And, I have to be honest, it can be downright sad.

Before he left this morning, I asked Nathan for a picture and he said, "Sure" but then said, "Can we take them here at the house and not up at the school." There is only one response to that request if you are a mom of a teenage boy and it is a "yes, of course".

I did get a shot of Nathan and his buddy Lucas before they left for University of Arkansas. And as I replaced the camera cover for the lens I ducked my head low so that neither could see the tears that welled up in my eyes. I quickly hugged Nathan (he was a sport about that) and then made my way to the car, tears coming fast and furious now.

I looked back after we turned the car towards home and he was laughing with his friends and he looked so happy and so ready for this last trip as a high schooler to craft his art as a musician. As I looked in the rearview mirror with tears still coming down my face, I saw his hand raise with a wave towards us and then, he turned to load his gear. And my heart formed these words that I want to share with him..

"My son, my prayer for you is that you know that you are always in my heart, that nothing you do or don't do can ever, ever change my love for you. You always have a place to come to celebrate life's joys. You can count on me to be there to listen but I will promise to let you find you own way. You were the first to make me a "parent" and you have taught me more than all the books in any library. I love your spirit, I love your compassion, I love you. You make me, above all, proud to be a human being because your spirit lifts me and those around you. May you have a wonderful senior year and may this new phase of your life's journey bring you confidence, peace and a continued sense of wonder for your world."







Posted by Picasa

No comments: