Sunday, July 10, 2005

From Sunny Mexico...not really

It's not that sunny but it's wonderful. Today we toured some businesses and met a ton of new people...and so far, my spanish is still terrible. Lucky for me, my business partner/friend speaks fluent Spanish so hopefully I will keep out of jail and not offend the natives too much.

I will never, ever hear the words "pushy saleman" in the same light after today. We toured some time-share properties because there is so much new growth in the area...and they were truly beautiful..but an intelligent look into that industry can teach you that you can find great travel deals for a fraction of the cost..you just have to say "no, thank you, gracias" with conviction. I have been offered a free meals, cash, free taxi rides and a whole lot more just to sit in on a presentation, which I have done...and said "no, thank you," and still made friends. Most of the guys making their money are very good at what they do and most know when to stop. One guy today did not but I kept saying no, and he kept pushing. Finally, I just stopped and stared at him and said nothing and I think he got the message. It was a blast being on the other side of the table and seeing what passes for professionalism...and how most of it is just cheap manipulation. I not only believe this doesn't work, I believe such tactics harm most of those of us who do work with integrity in the sales profession.

But there were several real pro's and I appreciated them and their courtesy. I can say, "no" with the best of them and faithfully execute my right to do so.

I'm on my way to a shiatsu massage and some rest before another busy day tomorrow...am trying to get some creative thinking, writing done and am having a wonderful experience so far.

No comments: