Friday, June 10, 2005

Surviving the Senior Picture Day

One day, $1,000.

That about sums up my day with my son after we tackled the senior pics and the summer band fee.

Wish I had as easy a gig as a photographer with a senior picture thing going. I'll probably get clobbered for saying this here but c'mon! Is there any more of a "sitting duck" than a mother, strung out because her first born baby boy is leaving the nest? You throw some great looking shots of his mug up on a big screen, play some sappy music and you've just made some easy cool cash.

I got through about two of the shots of my baby boy in a suit and I was a goner. Mascara smearing, snot running, heaving sobs. OK, I exaggerate...the mascara didn't smear too much, really, it was good stuff.

I have to give the photographer credit though, he took it all very well. I mean, if you are an artist and had someone sitting there who had never taken a picture of any quality telling you, "That one looks goofy.." when you know the lighting is perfect, the angle sublime...well, THAT tells me this guy has his ego in tact.

At one point I leaned over to him and said, "Y'know I'm not looking at your photos...I'm looking at pictures of my kid."

The photographer did a fabulous job capture Nathan's subtle, thoughtful, mischevious self. I tried to stay out of it as much as possible and let Nathan pick out the shots he most wanted. And here I have to give it up for Nathan..he was the perfect gentleman, even asking my opinion on a couple of shots. How can there ever be any bad shot of a mother's pride and joy?

No comments: