Saturday, June 11, 2005

Favorite Shows

I am not a TV watcher per se. I love great comedy so I adore the stand up on Comedy Central (most of the time). And I love "Law and Order". I think both great drama and great comedy has what writers must also have - great timing, a voice (or point of view) and the ability to tell great stories.

Tonight, I watched Chris Rock...which some would say is inappropriate with his four letter words (he's especially famous for lobbing the a few "F" bombs). I think his social commentary, through all the haze of his langauge, is on-target. In his most recent stand up he really nails marriage and relationships and I found myself laughing so hard that I could hardly breathe. I'm like, "Does this guy know relationships or what?"

I think that's what is great about comedy -- it can be so personal and so "right on" but it's trick is it makes you laugh at yourself. That's all it is...you watch this person and realize that he (or she) is talking about you and your crazy life. It's deeply personal and revealing.

Which is also what I love about great books, novels. Today, I picked up several of Joyce Carol Oates books that I have not yet read. I am reading "Zombie" and it is grossing me out. Not your average read.

The thing is, I can't read anything anymore like I use to! I read it now like I'm some editor looking for all the techniques that the writer is using. How does the author get this character in the car? How does the author move the characters through the paces of the story? What devices does the author use to create mood, atmosphere, tension? And now, I've started doing that with my favorite shows.

I watch for dialogue, tone, and all that stuff. It's a great way to learn the form of writing and its nuances, but I'll probably never read a book the same way again! And I love it.

I've written almost 15 pages of my current project and I'm having a blast working with an editor and learning how to write. I have so much to learn and I'm enjoying it immensely.

No comments: