Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Slogger, Blogger

I've been chastized on two accounts for my lack of blogging. And they are are right to do so, for blogging is a way that I get into my writing, sort out ideas and basically think on paper.

There are two reasons why I've been a blog slacker...one -- I've been working on a new area of writing that is, learning how to develop characters. Since I am often referred to as a "character" then it would seem not a hard proposition for me to come up with some of my own. And actually that is true, I am finding it rewarding to think about what a character has for breakfast, how many tattoes they may or may not have, and what their ethnicity may be.

In fact, I'm finding it so rewarding that I've now created several characters and they have this little life that I've created for them. Their names will remain anonymous right now, because, who knows, I might change their names. What power a writer must wield, to create these entire realities simply by a few keystrokes and some ideas.

The other reason I've been a slacker on the blogging is simply this -- I've been working on what some might call my "real job" that is, finishing out a fiscal year end and starting a new. This always is somewhat of a reality check -- did certain goals get met? If so, why or why not? This requires a good deal of personal introspection and a good deal of personal honesty.

Now a "seasoned" veteran in the world of sales, I find that my goals and my aspirations are changing significantly. There are new reasons why I want to achieve certain things and there are old goals that, while they may be important, do not hold the same charm for me as they may have. I don't consider this failure...I consider this maturation.

I think what I'm talking about here is the idea that sucess -- and one's definition of it -- are constantly fluid, or should be. After all, when I was 7 I wanted to be Carol Burnett. Thank goodnes some goals and dreams do pass on! For there can only be one Carol Burnett, and I'm not here.

Which leads me to what I believe is a better definition of success -- at least for me. It has nothing to do with the scoreboard or how much money one can make. There must be more dimensions of success than those scoreboards. There must be more than a dollar figure put upon someone's worth to humanity and to those around them. At least, for me, I'm learning, there must be more to it than that.

I'm not saying that one should become a boehemian and live their life on the lam and shun all things material. This is not a "sour grapes" treatise that is replacing personal failure with some type of manifesto for better living. It is, I think, a mid-life correction that simply says, life is shorter now than ever and what you do with it matters. Or at least it should.

No comments: