Saturday, January 29, 2005

Finding God in the Questions

I am re-reading Dr. Timothy Johnson's book, "Finding God in the Questions"...this is my third pass through it.

It isn't the theology that is represented, but his declaration that he believes it is not "right" for him to be leading the kind of lavish life he lives while so many others in the world feel the effects of poverty.

This kind of thinking really challenges me. I will try to express my thoughts here.

First of all, growing up in poverty is not fun. I remember distinctly sitting in school and being called out to the "free lunch" program and was mortified. I was shamed. (This is before more political ways of doing things were much in effect.).

I also remember going to church and having the minister's daughter say to me, "I use to have a dress just like that..." and being shamed again at realizing that I was wearing her cast off.

These are real and life-changing moments for me. I grew up hating that I was poor, vowing that I would someday never have to have this kind of embarressment again.

And for the most part I have succeeded. Sure, there are all kinds of trappings. There are many distractions.

But there is no righteousness in poverty, per se. In fact, some of the most materialistic people I've ever seen were those that had very little.

And on the other side, I have dined with the very wealthy in my sweats on a table in their living room, eating cold pizza and felt a kind of warmth and companionship that I hadn't known before.

I don't think it is the money that determines the person. Indeed, I believe it is the attitude towards money that determines the course.

There is a great line in the movie "Aviator" when Howard Hughes responds to the statement, "We don't care a lick about money.." he says, "That's because you've always had it.."

And I think that is right on...people who have had always had money, who've never had to work for it really, who've never had to worry about if they would eat or if they would have something to wear, can luxuriate and romanticize the condition of poverty. They can look down their noses at those "less fortunate" than themselves and treat those in poverty with a kind of child-like wonder.

But it is my opinion that this does no one any real good. I believe that how one considers money -- whether they are tight fisted or free -- determines their heart about their faith and in God's providence.

I think Dr. Johnson is getting to the ideas...and I'm still hanging onto his "answers"...it is great stuff and really making me think...

No comments: