Monday, July 23, 2007

Really bad movie makes squillions

After a too busy weekend, I agreed to go with my son and a friend to "Chuck and Larry". I figured, "What could it hurt?" And I'm a huge fan of Kevin James (even before the sitcom). And Adam Sandler's career has always intrigued me, although I can't say I'm a fan. More of a bemused interest, I think.

What I want to say to the creators of such shlock? First, don't misuse great comic talent - -and there are several veteran stand-ups in the movie - to pander to your sterotypes. I think the movie is so pooly edited that I almost thought I'd hear the director say, "cut!" during one of the way-too-long scenes. And while I can go with most forms of low-brow humor (thank you, Mr. Sandler) I found myself literally squirming with the ridiculous -- and predictable - gags that this fare offered. What most offended me was the cliche ways in which it presented different lifestyles and how badly it represented them.

And amazingly, it scored big at the box office - #1 this weekend.

Tonight, I'm watching TNT and new premiers...I'll try to post tomorrow on those.

No comments: